Wednesday, July 29, 2009

DC gets it right with Green Lantern: First Flight

I am by no means a huge Green Lantern fan. As a matter of fact I cannot remember the last time I read a Green Lantern comic book. So going into this film I had no expectations at all which meant that there could be no letdown on my part. With that said, it would not have mattered if I were an expert on all things Green Lantern as this animated film litterally blew me away from beginning to end, each and every time I watched it. Which I can happily say in all my geekiness has been at least a dozen times already.

With the briefest of Hal’s origin being revealed First Flight quickly becomes a space epic with Hal playing the role of rookie cop with Sinestro playing the role of mentor, taking Hal under his wing and showing him the ropes. Or is he? From here on out it’s an action packed ride and that’s all I’ve got to say about that.

A few surprises were thrown in for good measure, such as how brutal some of the scenes were. There was blood, there was death. The language portrayed in a handful of scenes were quite strong for an animated tale, although limited, still strong and not expected.

The voice cast consisting of Christopher Meloni, Victor Garber, Tricia Helfer, Michael Madsen, and John Larroquette did a wonderful job. I’ll say this for DC, they have the upper hand on the competitionwhen it comes to casting voice talent. Director Lauren Montgomery adds a superb touch, as usual. The animation is truly amazing here showing the great directing details that only add to the overall quality.

Green Lantern: First Flight came with several bonus features including a Digital Copy, which appears to be a growing trend among DVD releases. What is Digital Copy? It’s a product that includes an additional digital file of the film that can be played on your computer. Other special features included a sneak peak at DC Universe’s upcoming Superman/Batman Public Enemies. A behind the scenes look at Blackest Night, the epic DC Comics event in which the dead rise. Last but not least, an opportunity to explore 3 other DC Universe animated movies. Great features to go along with a great film!

Before I ever set my beedy little eyeballs on this animated film I gave no thought to Green Lantern in any way, shape or form. When I was done with the film I was looking for any Green Lantern back issue comic books that I could find. I also added Green Lantern to my monthly pull list. So if that doesn’t tell you that this is an excellent film worth multiple viewings then I don’t know what will.

I leave you with these final words:
‘In Brightest Day,
In Blackest Night,
This Film Shall Not Escape your Site.
Let Those Who Deny Its Entertainment Might
Beware the Power –
Green Lantern: First Flight.’

Green Lantern: First Flight will be available on DVD and Blu-ray July 28th.

Here’s a clip of Green Lantern: First Flight for your viewing pleasure.

No comments: